I finally made time to harvest my honey last month. The hive is healthy and happy, which is a good sign. I was able to pull of about 47lbs of honey off the hive this year. I had help from B. She helped carry frames and spin some of the honey. She loves the process and isn’t too nervous around the bees. It’s nice having hobbies that the kids can join in with and I think with better management I could double the honey next season.
While I had the hive open, I cleaned up and closed it for the winter. I’m still planning on splitting the hive if they make it through the winter but I will order a pack of bees just in case. That means I’ll start the season with at least one hive but could have up to 3.